Black God, White Devil (LE)
Black God, White Devil (LE)
THIS ITEM IS AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR PAYMENT WILL BE TAKEN IMMEDIATELY, AND THAT THE ITEM WILL BE DISPATCHED JUST BEFORE THE LISTED RELEASE DATE.
SHOULD YOU ORDER ANY OF THE ALREADY RELEASED ITEMS FROM OUR CATALOGUE AT THE SAME TIME AS THIS PRE-ORDER ITEM, PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR PURCHASES WILL ALL BE SHIPPED TOGETHER WHEN THIS PRE-ORDER ITEM BECOMES AVAILABLE.
PLEASE PLACE A SEPARATE ORDER FOR PRE-ORDERS IF YOU WISH TO HAVE IN-STOCK ITEMS SHIPPED SOONER.
Black God, White Devil
One of the most acclaimed and influential Brazilian films ever made, Black God, White Devil (Deus e o Diabo na Terra do Sol) tells the story of Manoel, a young cowherd who murders a wealthy ranch owner and flees to the drought-ridden hinterlands of northern Brazil with his wife Rosa. Now outlawed, they join a religious cult headed by the mystic self-proclaimed saint Sabastião, who condones acts of violence. The couple are plunged into a moral dilemma between embracing religious fanaticism and a life of brutality amongst rural peasant bandits. Meanwhile, the authorities hire a gunman known as Antonio Das Mortes to track them down.
This audacious and fearless award-winning film, celebrated for its fusion of mysticism and folklore and its examination of aspects of religion, violence, and social injustice, was hugely influential in shaping the Cinema Novo movement and has inspired many filmmakers. Mawu Films is proud to present this milestone of Brazilian filmmaking in a brand new 4K restoration of the original 35mm materials preserved by the Cinemateca Brasileira.
LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- New 4K restoration from original 35mm materials preserved by the Cinemateca Brasileira
- Audio commentary by restoration supervisor Lino Meireles
- Intimacy & Distance: the political visual style of Black God, White Devil - a visual essay by Manuela Lazic and Alessandro Luchetti (2023, 14 mins)
- Labyrinth Glauber The Brazilian - a documentary on the filmmaker by Silvio Tendler featuring interviews with colleagues and collaborators (2003, 98 mins)
- Cinema Novo - an award-winning documentary by filmmaker and son of Glauber Rocha, Eryk Rocha on the Brazilian filmmaking movement, featuring interviews with noted figures including Nelson Pereira dos Santos, Joaquim Pedro de Andrade and Rocha himself (2016, 90 mins)
- Optional English subtitles
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Time Tomorrow
- Limited edition booklet featuring new writing by filmmaker Kleber Mendonça Filho and critic Rafa Sales Ross
- Limited edition of 3000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with limited edition booklet and reversible sleeve
Extras subject to change
Bundle: Add World Noir Vol 1, Elegant Beast, Black God, White Devil, and Murder Obsession to your basket and receive 10% off! Valid until October 4th.
This item is not included in the Bundle Package "Jun-Dec 2023 Bundle"
Cat No: MAWU002LE
Release date: 18/12/23
"The most beautiful thing I have seen in a decade—filled with poetic savagery" - Luis Buñuel
“[Black God, White Devil] is a true lesson in modern cinema” - Michelangelo Antonioni
“The film that never got out of my head” - Bong Joon-ho
Voted the greatest Brazilian film of all time
Cannes Film Festival INTERNATIONAL CRITICS’ PRIZE