THIS ITEM IS AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR PAYMENT WILL BE TAKEN IMMEDIATELY, AND THAT THE ITEM WILL BE DISPATCHED JUST BEFORE THE LISTED RELEASE DATE.
SHOULD YOU ORDER ANY OF THE ALREADY RELEASED ITEMS FROM OUR CATALOGUE AT THE SAME TIME AS THIS PRE-ORDER ITEM, PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR PURCHASES WILL ALL BE SHIPPED TOGETHER WHEN THIS PRE-ORDER ITEM BECOMES AVAILABLE.
PLEASE PLACE A SEPARATE ORDER FOR PRE-ORDERS IF YOU WISH TO HAVE IN-STOCK ITEMS SHIPPED SOONER.
John Duncombe, the British consul in Florence, returns home from his wife’s funeral to his two children, who are unaware of their mother’s passing. He makes the decision to tell his eldest son, Andrea, but hides the truth from his sickly younger son, Milo. Director Luigi Comenicini (The Sunday Woman) captures the innocence and carefree moments of youth alongside the agonising feelings of grief, creating one of the finest films about childhood, one which can stand alongside The 400 Blows, The Spirit of the Beehive and L'enfance nue. A Palme d’Or nominee at the Cannes Film Festival and recipient of multiple awards from Italian institutions, Misunderstood features remarkable performances from the children and from Anthony Quayle (Lawrence of Arabia) as Duncombe.
LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- New 2024 2K restoration from the original negative
- Uncompressed mono PCM audio
- Interview with co-screenwriter Piero De Bernardi and Cristina Comenicini, the director’s daughter and herself a noted filmmaker (2008, 36 mins)
- Interview with legendary critic Michel Ciment (2021, 24 mins)
- A Child’s Heart - a visual essay by David Cairns on Comencini and the filmmaker’s affinity for childhood stories (2023, 25 mins)
- Newly translated English subtitles
- Reversible sleeve featuring designs based on original promotional materials
- Limited edition booklet featuring new writing by critic Manuela Lazic and a newly translated archival interview with Comencini
- Limited edition of 3000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings
This item is included in the multi-month Bundle Package "2024 Bundle", customers who ordered this package will automatically receive this release.
Add all April releases to cart to receive 10% off, add The Shape of Night, Misunderstood, L'amour fou and The Boss to qualify. Discount automatically applied at cart.
Also available in USA/Canada from our partners MVD, Diabolik, Orbit, Grindhouse and others
Release date: 29/04/24
“One of the most beautiful portraits of a child in the history of the cinema”- Claude Michel Cluny, Cinéma
“This pure melodrama, perhaps the most devastating ever made in the history of Cinema, to be placed on a level with the greatest works of Griffith and Sirk.” - Guy Bracourt
“Comencini treats a difficult subject of great importance: the misunderstanding between a father and his son, and gets results that are not only devastating but also highly believable.” - Bertrand Tavernier, Positif
“Made in 1966, this masterpiece by Luigi Comencini has lost none of its radiant beauty or its subversive force.” Le Monde (1978)