The Dead Mother (LE)
The Dead Mother (LE)
The Dead Mother
Ismael (Karra Elejalde, Timecrimes) breaks into the house of a fine art restorer and shoots the homeowner dead, leaving her daughter orphaned and traumatized for life. Years later Ismael is working in a bar where he sees the daughter again. Paranoid that she has recognised him and will report him, he kidnaps her and holds her hostage, demanding that her hospital pay a ransom for her release. As he spends more time with her, a strange bond develops that causes him to delay the ransom request or fulfil his threats of throwing her in front of a train. But he can’t delay forever… A gothic thriller with pitch-black humour that recalls the Coen brothers, Juanma Bajo Ulloa’s sophomore feature won a host of prestigious international awards and was a precursor to the Spanish genre explosion.
BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
- 4K restoration of the film supervised and approved by director Juanma Bajo Ulloa
- Uncompressed stereo 2.0 audio
- Audio commentary by Bajo Ulloa
- The Story of The Dead Mother - a documentary on the making of the film featuring behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with the cast and crew (2008, 38 mins)
- Victor’s Kingdom [El reino de Victor] - Goya Award-winning short film by Ulloa, restored in 4K (1989, 38 mins)
- Gallery of behind-the-scenes and promotional imagery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Time Tomorrow
- Limited edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by Xavier Aldana Reyes, author of Spanish Gothic: National Identity, Collaboration and Cultural Adaptation, and newly translated archival writing by Juanma Bajo Ulloa, co-writer Eduardo Bajo Ulloa and an appreciation by Nacho Vigalondo
- Limited edition soundtrack CD featuring Bingen Mendizábal’s sumptuous score [exclusive to the limited edition]
- Limited edition of 3000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings
Bundle: Add The Dead Mother and Scream and Scream Again to your basket and receive 10% off! Valid until July 5th.
This item is included in the Bundle Package "Jun-Dec 2023 Bundle", you will receive this release if you ordered the bundle.
Release date: 02/10/23
“Sumptuously shot in ravishing painterly hues of crimson blood red, earth brown and twilight blue, this film sets up and explores a compelling set of relationships between its protagonists and achieves a series of riveting suspense set pieces.” - Jeremy Clarke, What’s on in London
“Plays with conventions of both the thriller and the jet-lack comedy. The result is an uncompromising and frequently nasty film with a bizarrely tender undertow” - Nick Curtis, Evening Standard
“A sick but haunting Spanish thriller” - Anne Billson, Sunday Telegraph
"La Madre Muerta is a true gem of a film, one that shocks and compels and remains every bit as vital a piece of work today as it must have been the day it was released." - Todd Brown, - Screen Anarchy